Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Got no money to travel?...then Read!

I can read anything. A lifetime of literature teachers shoving books like 'Far from the Madding Crowd' down your throat will do that to a person. I can get engrossed in a cereal box cover.
However, even I was surprised to find myself rummaging through shelves at my local library for books about space. I was there to look for books to help me learn more about star clusters and how to identify them but something came over me I suppose. I guess I was learning about astronomy not just stargazing; but space...wasn't it too soon for space?     I grabbed a book 'Space Chronicles' by Neil Degrasse Tyson. That is what I started reading today. I had also picked up. I was sure the librarian checking out my books thought I was insane.
'Space Chronicles was a good first read because the author's motive for writing the book was to try to get more young people interested in astronomy and science. The big idea is that we need young Americans to want to get into these science technology and research professions. Our future in medicine and technology as a nation depends on us going back into space. I was learning so much already all from one book. So off I go to do some reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment