Thursday, May 17, 2012

Moons and Holes.

May 11, 2011



For the first time since I could remember, I jumped of bed and with kids fed, dressed and assigned to activities according to their interests, I made a beeline to my PC. My first search directed me to a picture of what was described as ' hungry black holes' that were apparently causing a lot of mayhem for the stars in the sky but the images and videos of a hungry black hole swallowing a star were so beautiful to look at. I set out to learn how to identify this happening and how to be able to tell this from my own telescope or binoculars and maybe even get my own pictures of such a tremendous event. I felt little guilt that some poor stars would have to be sacrificed for my own personal pleasure and achievement.
After much time spent on numerous videos I stumbled upon solar eclipses and learned of one expected
soon, May 20th to be exact and I was going to witness this event as closely as I could. Since it would not be happening close to where I lived I committed to being ready for the next solar eclipse coming my way, even though my poor new-to-astronomy self had no idea when that would be.


I  realized this would require equipment that I did not have and I would therefore have to find out what it was that I needed and get it, before black holes and solar eclipses and possible new planets or anything else decided to pop up in the skies. My personal collection of star gazing and other things space turned out to be not too shabby as far as a camera and sad as far as binoculars and telescopes.      

No comments:

Post a Comment